Why Choose Us?
A recent Whole School Evaluation 2015 had the following to claim about Castleisland Community College.
“A striking element of the two days of observations was the noted capacity of the teachers to demonstrate a degree of humility in their interactions with students and this, coupled with high levels of humility and care for students and their learning, makes Castleisland Community College stand out in the realm of teaching and learning.”
“The overall quality of teaching and learning in Castleisland Community College is very good with some excellent and exemplary practices observed.”
“The atmosphere in classrooms is really positive.”
“High expectations set for all students.”
“The quality of planning and preparation for lessons ranged from being very good to being of the very highest quality.”
“It was clear that the skills, tactics and strategies associated with Instructional Leadership are expertly embedded in classroom practice.”
Here at Castleisland Community College we have:
- Highly skilled teachers.
- Record of excellence in academic achievement -recent student who achieved 6A 2014.
- State of the art facilities – Computers in every classroom – science labs, language rooms, practical rooms etc…
- Huge sports hall, basketball courts/games pitches for GAA, soccer and rugby.
- Newly designed, “Design and Communications Graphics Computer Room”
- High speed broadband in all classrooms for teacher use.
- Very broad subject choice. Taster programmes in first year for all students.
- After school study – for two hours. After school study of one hour duration is free for first years.
- Huge range of teaching and learning methodologies, including ICT.
- Very successful Transition Year Programme – including Foreign Trip, Work Experience and Chinese Language experience.
- Enterprise Programme – Current student is All Ireland finalist – Top 3 – on Dragon’s Den.
- Green School –One Good Idea- qualified nationally.
- Health promoting school – broad Physical Education programme – Badminton, Orienteering Games, Athletics, Dance, Outdoor Education etc.
- Very successful sporting achievements- All Ireland Champions in basketball. Munster badminton champion Boys and girls school teams in Soccer, GAA and Rugby.
- Students on Young Munster Rugby team. Student on panel for U15 Irish basketball.
- Canteen at a reduced rate for students- free filtered water – fair trade products.
- Excellent school choir and musical group.
- All Ireland Champion musicians.
- Extra-curricular activities – Gaeilge Club – Computer Coding – Computer Blogging – Chess – Table tennis – GAA coaching with Jack O’Connor for boys and girls football teams.